[Kst] Big Ascii file

Ben Lewis egretengineering at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 11:39:31 UTC 2013

Hi Peter,

I can now open the big ASCII file using the settings you recommended. :-)

Build: x64
Limit buffer size: 500MB
Use threads: Yes
Interpret empty value as: NULL

I have not tried other settings yet.

I can load all three columns in just under 10 minutes.

My only criticism is that the progress bar does not behave as expected when loading multiple
columns. When loading all three columns I observe the following behaviour:

Searching for rows: 0-50%
Reading data.../Parsing data.. 50-100% (quick)
Reading column 2: 50%
Reading data.../Parsing data... 50-100% (slow)

Once loaded, performance is a little slow with the full data set displayed, but after zooming in
performance is excellent with smooth scrolling and zooming.

Regards, Ben