[Kst] Time support / 2.0.7

Nicolas Brisset nicolas.brisset at free.fr
Wed Oct 24 20:37:57 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have been thinking a bit more about what we still have to do to have good time support and I think it is quite a lot.
I see the following options:
1) we do some more testing on 2.0.7 and ship it as is regarding time support, which still needs to be improved in subsequent versions
2) while we're at it, we take some more time and try to finish a first more or less complete implementation of time support
3) we deactivate what we have to avoid raising complaints/questions from users, release 2.0.7 without real support for time and keep that for 2.0.8

My impression is that 2.0.7 already brings a lot of fixes and I'm not too happy about releasing it with incomplete time support, nor postponing it too much.
So I'd go for 3)
Are there other opinions out there?

Nicolas

P.S.: to add proper time support, we need to clarify the following points in my opinion. Feel free to add those I may have missed so that we have a sort of roadmap:
- what options do we really want to support for ASCII (I think we'll need more than there currently is)
- what to do about other datasources (Barth started with vector names being time or temps, but it's just a first shot I think)
- how to enter ranges in time formats
- how to convert between time and samples (there are provisions in datasource.h, but it's clearly not mature)
- how to properly integrate that into the datawizard so that the user does not get confused