[Kst] ASCII reader

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 23 15:24:15 UTC 2012

I played a bit with the ascii data source on the way home last night:
Performance:

With on my dual core sandybridge, I see a x2 improvement in
performance over 2.0.6
(Reading the last 100 columns of a 200 row, 20000 column file, and
reading the first column of a 4,000,000 row by 20 column file - both
space separated)
When attempting to read a 2.5GB file, no data were read.  I haven't
explored further.  I didn't limit memory useage.

Except for the failure to read the really big file, the performance is
markedly better than 2.0.6, and I see no regressions.  Great work!

UI:
-The ascii config dialog does not fit on a 1366x768 screen - its too
tall.  It should be made wider and shorter.
-The purpose of the QDateTime format string field in the axis tab is
not clear.  It doesn't seem to have anything to do with how the plot
appears (everything else in the dialog does - since it is the plot
dialog).  Is this a copy of the field in the ascii config dialog?
Also, why is the label disabled?

--
C. Barth Netterfield
University of Toronto