[Kst] Feedback from testing Kst-2.0.x-Qt5-2012.10.17-07.54

Brisset, Nicolas Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Wed Oct 17 10:05:22 UTC 2012

Hi Peter,

I've been doing some tests with the snapshot Kst-2.0.x-Qt5-2012.10.17-07.54 and here are some comments :

-          When trying to load too much data without setting the file buffer limit, it does not crash and allows to try and continue in a dialog you added recently: very nice. Maybe we should mention the "Limit file buffer" option in this dialog so that people understand/discover how to work around the issue

-          I don't know what we do in the ascii config dialog, but it takes ages to get out of it when you've changed the settings and hit OK. Maybe worth a check?

-          Using threads on a single file now does bring some benefit. With a 1 GB file and 200 MB buffer I get 16.2 s (debug log) without threading and 10.5 s with threading. But the difference from the user perspective as measured by the "wall clock" is not as large (19 s vs 14 s), which is in fact quite understandable since all the drawing is common

-          I tried to change the "use threads" setting on some (by hand-editing the .kst file) and it seems to bring a real benefit => shouldn't we activate it by default instead of defaulting to false (which actually is more or less what I wrote in the previous mail: why not thread in all cases?

-          I have some files which seem to open with 2.0.6 and not with this snapshot (or even crash). I'll investigate this a bit further. Could you maybe generate a beta with Qt4 and MSVC to make sure we're not hitting a bug there?

To sum up: great work!
I'll do some more testing (and go into the details of indexes etc) and I hope we can settle on the UI aspects/defaults quickly to finalize this release, hoping that the problems with old files I see are linked to Qt5 / mingw versions in the snapshot.

Nicolas

EUROCOPTER DEUTSCHLAND GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office: Donauwörth
Registergericht / Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates / Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
Geschäftsführung / Board of Management:
Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender / CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee ( s ) named above and for no other persons or organizations.
It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication
or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication.
Thank you very much.
It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses
or other material which might be introduced with this message.