[Kst] [Scidavis-contributors] New project lead

Nicolas Brisset nicolas.brisset at free.fr
Fri Nov 2 22:34:54 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm subscribed to the scidavis list as it is one of the projects on my radar. I also tried to contact developers of both labplot and scidavis at some point as I'm contributing to a "concurrent" project, kst. I'm fine with the idea of many projects trying to answer the same need (in that case, data analysis and plotting) with emphasis on different workflows, but I'd also be happy to see some concentration of development effort, anything from common plugins or APIs to common code bases. Maybe at some point we'll have to organize a "qt-based open-source plotting sprint" to really get things started there?
Anyway, in case you don't know it, Kst is a mature Qt/C++ 2D plotting application, which dropped KDE dependency in the course of porting to Kst2.x/Qt4 (Kst 1.x was a KDE3 application). So pretty much the same as scidavis, qtiplot, and labplot with some more features in certain areas and less in others. Kst is less table-oriented than Origin and the other tools, but has some nifty features as well, from some cool tools (data wizard, plugin-based datasources, edit multiple objects,  change data file, etc...) to awesome performance. In fact, if you are interested in plotting tools I guess you'll want to check it for yourself. You'll find lots of information on http://kst-plot.kde.org. And of course, feel free to contact me or join the kst mailing list for more information on kst, and why not possible cooperation.

Cheers,

Nicolas