[Kst] Compiling latest sources on Windows MSVC

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Tue May 8 19:00:06 UTC 2012

On 08.05.2012 18:49, David McMinn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First up, apologies for the long rambling email :)
>
> I'm interested in contributing to KST (or at least seeing whether it would
> be feasible for me to do so) so I checked out the latest repository sources.
> I have the QtSDK 1.2 installed, CMake 2.8.8 and MSVC2008 Express. Following
> the instructions on the KST website I open the cmake/CMakeLists.txt file
> within QtCreator. I select the nmake MSVC 2008 x86 option and run CMake. It
> finds Qt4, creates the necessary files and completes without error.
>
> However, when I try to build Kst I get an error from the compiler:
>
> C:\David\Dev\KST\source\src\libkst\builtindatasources.cpp : fatal error
> C1083: Cannot open precompiled header file:
> 'C:/David/Dev/KST/build/qtcreator-build/src/libkst/kstcore_pch.h.pch': No
> such file or directory
>
> I've never used CMake before so if I'm making a mistake somewhere please let
> me know. When I track through the makefiles it looks as if I get to a point
> in src/libkst/CMakeFiles/kst2core.dir/build.make where it performs the real
> compilation of builtindatasources.cpp. I can see the command line includes
> the /Yu and /Fp compiler flags for the precompiled header. What I don't see
> is a dependency on
> "src\libkst\CMakeFiles\kst2core.dir\kstcore_pch.h.cpp.obj" which seems to be
> the target used to build the precompiled header file, and there isn't one in
> the src/libkst/CMakeFiles/kst2core.dir/depend.make file either.
>
> The other thing is that I am sure MSVC complains if the first thing it finds
> in the source files is not the #include "precompiled header filename.h".
> Since none of the Kst source files have that is it even worth me continuing
> trying to get MSVC to compile this with precompiled headers or should I just
> turn them off?
>
> If I should turn them off, what's the best way? I tried modifying the top
> level CMakeLists.txt to set
>      kst_option(pch "Use precompiled headers" OFF all)
> but the kst_pch option was always reported as being ON and the build.make
> file I found earlier still had the /Yu and /Fp commands for precompiled
> headers.
>
> Thanks.

Hi David,

from QtCreator/Project you could rerun cmake and there you could pass the argument

     -Dkst_pch=OFF

There you could also see all the other options.

But when you wanna compile with MSVC you could use Visual Studio for developing.
I never use nmake for building Kst: developing with Studio, deploying with mingw.

Open a Visual Studio shell, add the path to qmake (set PATH=C:\Qt\...\bin;%PATH%),
create a build folder on the same level as the Kst checkout
and call within the build folder

     cmake ..\kst\cmake -G"Visual Studio 10"

Open the solution file kst.sln from command line.
I'm sure this will work.

To start over the best way is to completely clean the build folder.

Peter