[Kst] Kst translations

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Thu Sep 15 12:57:49 UTC 2011

Hi,

Thanks for your note.

As things turn out, kst2 is a pure QT4 app, and doesn't use KDE libs at all.
We did this to make it easier to run on Windows and Mac, where KDE is
not as well
supported as it is under linux.  The major costs of this are:
  -We aren't actually part of extragear, so the distros are not as
likely to pick us up.
  -We don't have translations (though they are probably possible.  We
do use tr() everywhere.)
  -Weaker KDE desktop integration (icons and KIO are the big ones)
  -No access to KDE's timezone classes.

We do have porting to KDE in our wishlist, but we haven't actually
decided if it is the right thing to do.

If anyone has recent experience with building and installing KDE apps
on Windows and Macs, which would
alleviate my fears, I would love to hear about them.  In the meantime,
I think we will... delay... the decision.

sigh...

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Alexander Potashev
<aspotashev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> There are a couple of Kst users who would like to see Kst with Russian
> localization. Is there already a workflow to add translations? I
> haven't found neither Messages.sh nor *.pot files in the SVN repo like
> all KDE's extragear/* and kde*/* projects have.
>
> Kst would be translated into much more languages if you make it a
> KDE's Playground or Extragear project, or even part of KDE Software
> Compilation.
>
> By the way, there were a lot of translations in the previous
> (Qt3-based?) version, they can be partly reused:
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kst/2004-November/004575.html
>

> --
> Alexander Potashev

C. Barth Netterfield