[Kst] Kst 2.0.4: Request to set DPI Resolution for PDF Export

repaul_schrott-kst at yahoo.de repaul_schrott-kst at yahoo.de
Sat Oct 15 13:43:25 UTC 2011

Dear all,

Latetly I have come across a small issue which concerns the PDF/PS export function on all platforms (Linux, Win32, Mac).

Whenever I "print to" a real printer or PDF driver or use "export to" -> PDF the text content of the legends is blurry because it is aliased at screen resolution and then rendered at this resolution to the PDF file. This is unlike the other labels which get aparrently encoded as true type outline characters and thus rendered at full resolution.

I looked at the code of "mainwindow.cpp" and saw that the resolution for "export" and "print" is hardcoded to "QPrinter::ScreenResolution". According to the qt docs the alternative is "::HighResolution" which is 1200dpi, which really is no alternative either because it requires enormous amounts of memory for plotting. Therefore I would like to request 2 two things:

1) An addition to the preferences dialog to set the DPI resolution for PDF/PS export. Default values could be 200/300/600 DPI.
2) If it is not too complicated a DPI option for bitmap export as well.

Request 1) would be more important because I can then thru the chain print -> PDF/PS -> ghostscript -> PNG but the nevertheless when I want to plots in Word, the option which least surprises is to the generate a PNG/JPG with 300/600 DPI and include as a bitmap.

Thanks

Ralph Paul