[Kst] Re: Plot with dates on X-Axis

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Fri May 27 17:22:38 CEST 2011

I hope to implement this "soon".

It will be trivial to implement, except, of course, for handling the
range of different and ambiguous formats.  For example, what date does
09/10/11 refer to?

September 10, 2010 (US)
October 11, 2009 (Canada)
October 9, 2011 (?)

Is 09/10/11 the same as 09-10-11?

What languages should we look for the month names in?  How should we
handle that?

etc...  Maybe there is a library...

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Brisset, Nicolas
<Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com> wrote:
>> by the way, it is written in the handbook that KDE long and short date
>> formats could be used... Is that a mistake?
> Please note that the handbook is for version 1.x of kst and may not
> apply entirely for 2.x.
> Apart from that, I believe it is true but you first have to be able to
> read the data. The sentence you quote probably applies only to how the
> data can be displayed.
>
> To sum up, in order to have dates as x vector you need:
> 1) to read in numeric data which corresponds to the date
> 2) to tell kst how to interpret the data and how to display it
>
> The manual speaks about 2) while your problem is 1): as far as I know,
> until now the ASCII data source has never been able to read ASCII dates
> and times correctly.
>
> Nicolas
>

> Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
> Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Donauwoerth
> Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
> Geschaeftsfuehrung/Board of Management:
> Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
> This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
> If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much.
> It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message.

C. Barth Netterfield
University of Toronto
416-845-0946