[Kst] Re: link step failing with qmake

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Wed May 18 20:01:02 CEST 2011

Hi Nadine,

Are you really using openSuse 10.2?  That is really really old (2006),
long out of support, and may be the source of some of the troubles.
If you are using it, is there any reason you can't upgrade to
something new?

i) Have you installed qt 4.7?  Is it in /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.7.3?

ii) make sure there are no old kst files kicking around:
root at ice kst#  rm /usr/lib/libkst2*
root at ice kst#  rm /usr/lib/kst/*
root at ice kst#  rm /usr/local/lib/libkst2*
root at ice kst#  rm /usr/local/lib/kst/*

iii) make sure that your build directory is empty (or gone)
root at ice kst#  rm -rR ./build

iv) make sure that you are using the correct versions of qmake, etc
root at ice kst#  qmake -v
QMake version 2.01a
Using Qt version 4.7.0 in /usr/lib

root at ice kst# moc -v
Qt Meta Object Compiler version 62 (Qt 4.7.0)

The version should be >= 4.5.0 (ie, not 3.x, which is default for openSuse 10.2)

Then try again.  Let me know how things turn out.

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Nadine Leenders <nadine at ualberta.ca> wrote:

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> Thanks for your assistance!
>

> On 2011-05-18, at 12:34 AM, Brisset, Nicolas wrote:
>
>> Dear Nadine,
>>
>> it seems you are doing all this from the command line. I don't know if
>> you can install qtcreator on that machine, but I'd definitely recommend
>> doing this.
>
> To install this, I've put in cmake, qmake, and qtcreator and have been going in circles trying to make it work.  Settled on qmake because I was making the best progress with it.  With, qtcreator, I get into it, and am clueless.
>

>> It makes a lot of things easier, compiling among others. I
>> don't know if you only want to use kst or also plan to be developing
>> some stuff around it, but if you also want to be able to develop then
>> really consider installing qtcreator.
>>
>> The other point is that we're slowly moving away from qmake and using
>> cmake instead, which is now the recommended build system. Qmake should
>> still work at this point, though.
>>
>> So let us know if qtcreator is an option, and if yes just open
>> [source_root]/kst.pro (qmake) or [source_root]/cmake/CMakeLists.txt
>> (cmake) file from the File->Open menu and let the tool guide you. If you
>> have more than one Qt installation on your machine, you may want to set
>> it in the Settings to make sure the right one gets picked up.
>
> I went back to qtcreator and, I think, did as you said.  I did this as root, and it created /home/synth/sandbox/kst etc (a rather strange default).  In qtcreator, under Tools/Options/Qt4, it has for both auto-detected and manual, the version of Qt I want it to use; /usr/local/Trolltech/QT-4.7.3/bin/qmake .  It bothers me that there is no place to put where the includes are for QT-4.7.3, since there is another qt version on this system.
>
> I tried doing build and am back to my original problem, I have the error message:
> /usr/local/lib/libnetcdff_c++.a(netcdf.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S against `vtable for NcTypedComponent' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> With qmake I was able to get rid of the message by putting "staticlib" as an option to CONFIG in kst.pri .  I tried putting it back there and it seems that  qtcreator doesn't use this file.
>
> More suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>  - Nadine

C. Barth Netterfield