[Kst] Re: branches/work/kst/portto4/kst/src

Nicolas Brisset nicolas.brisset at free.fr
Sat Mar 19 12:35:50 CET 2011

Hi Peter,

----- "Peter Kümmel" <syntheticpp at gmx.net> a écrit :
> SVN commit 1225259 by kuemmel:
>
> When only a filename is passed to kst without any further arguments
> and it is not a .kst file try to find a datasource which could load
> it, and show all vectors against INDEX. Each datasource could overwrite
> this behavior, like it was asked by Syam Krishnan C.R. on the mailinglist.
>
> Having this feature it is now possible to register Kst as default
> program for opening data files: double-click on your data file and see Kst
> previewing your data!
While the idea has some good sides to it, I think it is dangerous. Imagine what happens if you pass kst a datafile with thousands of variables?
I think we need to fine-tune the behavior a bit. One possibility would be to load only the first x vectors (x being in the area of 30 to 40). But other ideas are welcome.

Another idea that comes to mind is using the -w (like "wizard" switch, as we had in kst 1.x) to open the datafile directly in the wizard.

In fact, I'm still not completely sure what Syam's use case is. It would be nice to clarify it a bit before spending time developing more stuff. Using the -F switch to load the data vectors from a different file, but using a standard layout is a pretty nice possibility if you always have the same data. If it's not clear to you what this feature is, I can give more explanations.

Syam, could you possibly post two sample fiels (one binary, one ASCII) and more details on your workflow? Things like knowing whether you always look at the same vectors or not, or how many clicks are acceptable when loading new data, whether you always want to look at all vectors and how many there are in your files are all important information. Also, batch use cases would be interesting to mention, if you have some.

Best,