[Kst] Re: Looking for opinions on properties.

D. V. Wiebe dvw at ketiltrout.net
Fri Jun 17 23:23:07 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 09:37:02AM -0400, Barth Netterfield wrote:
[...]
> I think "minimum font size" should be a global property, as it is the
> same for all plots, and depends on the resolution of your output
> device.

That sounds fine.  I guess I could see a use-case for making it an item
property if you used the feature to prevent some text object from
shrinking as much as others, but... that seems kind of gamey to me.

> I think font families should be item properties, since you might want
> to have a different font for axis labels than for legends, or some
> weird thing like that.

Certianly.

> What about:
>    View/tab background fill?
>    View/tab grid properties?

Background fill: probably global; there *is* an argument for doing it
per-item, but it does not seem compelling to me.

Grid properties: global

>    Settings for auto-layout (border, spacing, etc) (these are only
> relevant when the layout is changed with 'cleanup layout'.  Nothing
> changes until cleanup layout is called.)

Global; there's enough "magic" in auto-layout already; no need to muddy
the waters by making various stuff auto-layoutify differently.

-dvw
Don Wiebe                                   dvw at phas.ubc.ca
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of British Columbia              Hennings 204
6224 Agricultural Road                      Tele: +1-604-822-2585
University Endowment Lands, BC
Canada   V6T 1Z1                            http://ketiltrout.net/