[Kst] Re: reading ASCII files / KST command line options

rrebel at rfecllc.com rrebel at rfecllc.com
Mon Jan 31 10:10:04 CET 2011

Dear Nicolas,

thank you for your fast response. Meanwhile I got the command line
version to work. The problem is more or less the available documentation.

I checked out the repository to have a look at the source and voila,
there I found under design specs a document describing the command line
options for the 2.02 Version as well as all the documentation required
for the reader plug in. By searching the documents I found that the
order the options are given, matters. This is a little unusual so. First
the datafile and then the options in the right order. (-n in front tof
the plot definitions).
But on top of this you have to set the default settings for the reader
in a way that it can read the file without error. This means you have to
set the  delimiter, the data start line, the comment symbol's and the
line where the headers are as the default settings. Otherwise the reader
fails and no data are available. Unfortunately there are no command line
options to specify all that.
In my opinion the ASCII reader is to intollerant on the format.

The ".kst" file seems to be a real bug.

Anyway for more complex automation it would be nice that onealso could
specify a script on the command line to run. This would be the most
powerful and flexible way for automation since the program generating
the data could also generate the script for post processing and
displaying the data.

I also took a look on the reader plug in. I'm not an experienced C++
programmer but I think I can manage it. It is just a matter of priority
and time. Since the ASCII works now I have a solution for my problem and
it just sunk a little in importance.

Best Regards

Reimund Rebel