[Kst] Benefit vs risk of constant-width columns + GUI proposal

Brisset, Nicolas Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Tue Jan 25 08:47:21 CET 2011

Hi Peter,

I have been thinking a bit about the optimization for constant-width columns, where all columns don't necessarily have the same width. I have also discussed it with a colleague, and I have some questions related to it:

- how much performance benefit does it bring? (the benefit)

- what happens if the user looks at the first 10 lines of his file, decides each column has a constant width and in fact at line 100 the time which started at 0.0000 gets to 10.0000 (one more figure), thereby breaking the assumption? (the risk)

The thing is, I still haven't found the definitive GUI approach to accommodate this option, and it can be dangerous. So we have to weigh the benefit against the risk, and maybe present it differently in the GUI.

At the moment, for the UI I'm tending to something as attached, but I'm not yet sure it is 100% foolproof. I do think it allows to accommodate all the formats we can reasonably support and to optimize them at the same time. Feedback is appreciated.

On a related note, I think we should auto-detect the delimiter. It should be pretty easy as soon as the user tells us in which line to find data. But for that we'd need to connect the valueChanged() signal of the _startLine QSpinBox to a checkFormat() slot of the config widget, which would need to know the filename we're working on. But it seems that the filename for which we are configuring is not known in this code. Could we change that?

The other option would be to go the whole way to more automation, and parse the first 10 to 20 lines to try and detect the format ourselves automatically. But I'd rather keep that for later; we've already spent so much time on ASCII for 2.0.3...

Nicolas

Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Donauwoerth
Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
Geschaeftsfuehrung/Board of Management:
Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much.
It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message.