[Kst] Re: Benefit vs risk of constant-width columns + GUI proposal

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Tue Jan 25 20:07:55 CET 2011

On 25.01.2011 12:00, Brisset, Nicolas wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
>> It depends on the position of the row. For the 310 MB gyrodata file
> and
>> column 3 the speedup
>> is from 4.0s to 2.5 s. The more right the column is the greater the
>> speedup will be.
> OK, if it's so much, then let's keep it. Especially as 3 columns is
> really little. We routinely have files with many more columns than that!
>
>> Then the data is not loaded correctly, when such option is enabled we
> must
>> trust the user.
>> To fix this we could add an expensive function which analyzes the data
> and
>> tells the user
>> what for optimizations could be used and sets them for the data.
> Adding an expensive function sounds bad. But do we get a return status
> from atof() when there is an issue (like a ; in the characters, or more
> than one figure sequence)? If so, we should remember it and pop up a
> dialog or output a warning to the log class telling the user that there
> was an issue while loading the data and that he should check his
> settings. If atof() already has that, the overcost of testing the return
> value should be very small.

Then I would say, when the user doesn't know his data he should not use
same non default functions.

>> Yes, better than the current GUI. I would name "Free width" a bit
>> different, maybe "Width of columns is not predictable"
> I'd suggest "Make no assumption on column width", which sounds a bit

That's good.

> like danger...
> Should I go ahead and commit that, so that you can then adapt the code
> to it? If we do that, we only have to try and keep as much compatibility

Yes, please commit.

> as possible with the old .kst files. That may be a bit tricky and I
> don't think we can achieve 100% compatibility, but at least the most
> common options (whitespace, or custom delimiter) should be reloaded
> correctly. I think at this stage breaking the .kst format is still
> doable, but it's the kind of things we have to be very cautious about.
> !!! Barth, what do you think: would that be a major issue? !!!

Why do you think we break old kst files, the only difference I see is the
changed default comment delimiter, arne't they loaded from the kst file?

And I have the impressen the read code for ascii data is completely broken:

void AsciiSourceConfig::load(const QDomElement& e) {
  // TODO use tags, isn't this code torally buggy, because trings and tags doesn't match?
   QDomNode n = e.firstChild();
   while (!n.isNull()) {
     QDomElement e = n.toElement();
     if (!e.isNull()) {
       if (e.tagName() == "index") {
         if (e.hasAttribute("vector")) {
           _indexVector = e.attribute("vector");
         }
         if (e.hasAttribute("interpretation")) {
           _indexInterpretation = Interpretation(e.attribute("interpretation").toInt());
         }
       } else if (e.tagName() == "comment") {
         if (e.hasAttribute("delimiters")) {
           _delimiters = e.attribute("delimiters").toLatin1();

Isn't this function used when a kst file is loaded? Most tag names are not uptodate.