[Kst] Re: branches/work/kst/portto4/kst/src/datasources/ascii

Brisset, Nicolas Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Mon Jan 24 17:30:27 CET 2011

> Fixed-width columns are optimized, column width == 5
>  1234 1234 1234 1234;
> -1234-1234 1234 1234;
> -1234 1234 1234 1234;
> +1234 1234-1234-1234;
>
> but we could also optimize for different column width are constant:
>  1234; 123456789; 12; 1234444;
>  1234;-123456789; 12;+1234444;
>
> only the place of the ; has to be the same in each row.
>
> And I've seen no problems when the number string starts with a
whitespace.
OK, here are a couple of questions to be able to improve the GUI, which
is a bit broken/hard to figure out currently.

So if I understand it correctly, when all columns don't have the same
width but each still has a constant width, then we can perform a
specific optimization. Is that correct?

Can we optimize more if all columns have the same width than if each has
a constant width?

And another important question: can you compute the width of each column
reliably when they are delimited by whitespace, or does it need a custom
delimiter? Finding out the width with whitespace sounds tricky, because
you could have a sign coming only after a large number of samples, and
we can't parse the whole file to determine which optimization is
applicable!
Or do we have a simple criterion such as: the first whitespace char
after the numbers in a given column are always aligned?

Depending on your answers, I think we have to change the GUI (and
unfortunately the code and possibly storage format in the .kst) a bit.

Nicolas

P.S.: since we're doing so much work on the ASCII datasource, I think
I'll end up adding units as well for 2.0.3.

Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Donauwoerth
Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
Geschaeftsfuehrung/Board of Management:
Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much.
It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message.