[Kst] Re: branches/work/kst/portto4-sharedpointer

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Fri Jan 7 12:49:36 CET 2011

On 07.01.2011 05:23, Barth Netterfield wrote:
> Is kst2 now able to build with cmake?  If so, could you include a short
> tutorial on what you need and how to do it?
>
> thanks!

I've renamed the old INSTALL to INSTALL.qmake and described cmake build system in INSTALL:

=========================
Building Kst with CMake
=========================

Install CMake from www.cmake.org or your distribution (version >= 2.8).

3rd party libraries
-------------------

	Install Qt 4 and make sure qmake is found.
		Add the folder with qmake to the environment variable PATH.
		If you've compiled Qt by yourself or qmake is not found after
		installing Qt fix PATH,
		Linux/Unix: export PATH=<your path to qt>/bin:$PATH
		Windows   : set PATH=<your path to qt>\bin;%PATH%

	Libraries for plugins:
	Currently only Getdata, Gsl, and Netcdf are supported.
	On pkg systems the libraries should be found automatically,
	on non-pkg systems like Windows you must point to the libraries
	by environment variables NETCDF_DIR, GETDATA_DIR, and GSL_DIR.

Generating build system files
-----------------------------

	CMake is a build system file generator. On all systems it could
	generate files for several build systems, for instance Makefiles
	for make, project files for Visual Studio, Xcode, Eclipse.

	Running cmake without any argument lists all supported build
	systems on your system. Passing one of them as -G"<build system name>"
	argument when running cmake selects this.

Building out-of-source
----------------------

	The standard way of using CMake is to build in a folder which doesn't resides
	in the source tree. This has the advantage, that a complete fresh build could
	be done by simply deleting all files in the build folder and to re-run cmake
	again.

	Another benefit of out-of-source builds is that several builds (debug, release,
	command-line builds, IDE project files) could all use the same source tree.

	Therefore when using cmake create a folder outside of the source tree and
	select this folder when using CMake's GUI, cmake-gui, or go into this folder
	when you call cmake from the shell.

Using cmake
-------------

	When calling cmake you must pass the path to the source tree (absolute are relative)
	and optionally the generator (each system has its own default). Additional arguments
	could be passed with the -D prefix.

	Here some examples, assuming the build folder is in the same folder as the source tree:

	* Makefiles on Linux
		cmake ../kst/cmake

	* Project files for QtCreator:
		Open the kst/cmake/CMakeLists.txt file and select the build folder
		or create the files in the command line using the -G"CodeBlocks *" option, eg
			cmake ../kst/cmake -G"CodeBlocks - Unix Makefiles"

	* Project files for Xcode
		cmake ../kst/cmake -GXcode

	* Project files for Visual Studio 10
		cmake ..\kst\cmake -G"Visual Studio 10"

	* NMake files for Visual Studio
		cmake ..\kst\cmake -G"NMake Makefiles"

	* Makefiles for MinGW
		cmake ..\kst\cmake -G"MinGW Makefiles"

-------

	Options could be passed by the -D prefix when running cmake.
	Available options will be listed on each cmake run:

	-- kst_merge_files          = OFF     : Merge files to speedup build
	-- kst_merge_rebuild        = OFF     : Rebuild generated files from merged files build

	To enable a option pass the value ON or 1, eg
		cmake ../kst/cmake -Dkst_merge_files=1