[Kst] Re: branches/work/kst/portto4/kst/src

Brisset, Nicolas Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Thu Feb 17 08:30:26 CET 2011

Hi Barth,

> SVN commit 1221146 by netterfield:
>
> Major re-work of how label info is passed around.
> -still need to pass 'names' of render items.
>
> First attempt at re-thinking automatic label rules.
> -Legends haven't been touched yet.
> -Multiple units in a plot haven't been touched yet.
> -Not all cases have been tested.
>

> Not sure I or anyone else will like all the cases, but the couple I
looked
> at seemed OK.
> Please test and complain at will.
Thanks a lot for the effort! It seems to be non-trivial changes, but I
think this is very useful and very visible to the end user. Definitely
not an obscure feature people won't even notice.

So here are my comments from a first quick check. You said "complain at
will", so I feel called upon :-)
without units). That's *great* as it is probably the most frequent use
case! We still have the issue of left label alignment, but you said we'd
have a try at it later...
2) If you plot e.g. p, q, r against the same X vector, the X axis label
should not change. Right now the vector name disappears. As using the
same X vector for all curves is certainly the vast majority of cases, we
definitely have to optimize it.
3) When plotting more than one curve with the same Y vector unit, the Y
axis label contains only the unit: OK. But maybe we should preserve the
[] around the unit name, it would be more consistent (granted, that's a
detail)
4) When plotting two curves with different units in the same plot, only
one of the units is shown => as I said before, I think in that case we
have to resort to the legend
5) When adding editing plot contents (adding a curve), the Apply button
of the dialog does not get activated
6) Legends are not optimized yet (i.e. X vector repeated, no unit) - but
you said it's still coming
7) Legends don't appear automatically when needed - but I think that's
also still part of the TODO list

To sum up my impressions, I think we're very close to a great release
:-)!

If I understand you right, you still have something coming for legends,
so hopefully it will fix 6) and 7). I have already provided my
"algorithm" so I won't go into more details here. I'd rather wait until
you've done a first attempt and make incremental improvements from there
(if needed). And even if it takes a couple more days, I'd actually be
tempted to try the "super top label" approach now (i.e. allowing the
legend to be place in or above the plot) because I think it will be
needed to solve everything nicely. But I don't realize exactly how much
more work that requires...

Apart from the legend points, I'd say we need to fix 2), maybe 3), 4) -
and 5) even though it is not directly related.

I can't wait to have this finished! I'm planning to do some screencasts
as soon as this works well, so that we can do a very professional
release and some PR around it this time. We'll have a very nice set of
well-working features, 3 platforms supported with proper installers
(although Linux distribution is still a bit weak...), the new website
90% finished. Let's see what feedback we get...

Nicolas

Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Donauwoerth
Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
Geschaeftsfuehrung/Board of Management:
Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much.
It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message.