[Kst] Re: branches/work/kst/portto4/kst/src/libkstapp

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Thu Apr 7 15:07:48 CEST 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 3:00 AM, Brisset, Nicolas
<Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com> wrote:
>> Add svg to graphics output formats.
> Hey, cool! I think that's much more interesting than EPS nowadays. But
> I'm not a Latex user, so maybe EPS is still a requirement anyway?
> The SVG produced by Qt seems to be of a very good quality. Really nice.

Latex still typically needs eps for vector plots.  For the short term,
one can convert to eps using inkscape, but that is not really a good
solution.

> The only thing I'm wondering about is whether we should not provide an
> export dialog with two clearly distinguishable modes: bitmap export and
> vector export (SVG, PDF, (E)PS?). The way it is right now, I'm pretty
> sure a lot of people will miss the very important fact that there are
> not only bitmap output formats.
> Maybe two tabs with the same layout but different lists of formats would
> do the trick?

Or checkboxes ?

Formats: [ ] bitmap [x] vector

> P.S.: we have to update the roadmap in the wiki
> (http://community.kde.org/KDE_Science/Kst/roadmap) and I'd appreciate it
> if you (especially Barth, but others as well) could take a look at it.

Can you remind me how to check out the html files?  A lot of the bugs
have actually been fixed for 2.0.3

> Text files in the source tree are unlikely to be looked at by users...

Yes.  They are really just my internal notes, since I usually code on
the subway where I don't have internet.
I could remove them from svn, but that wouldn't really help anything.
 But I could just as easily keep the web page html files
checked out current on my laptop, and use them....

--
C. Barth Netterfield
University of Toronto