[Kst] branches/work/kst/portto4/kst/src/datasources/ascii

nicolas.brisset at free.fr nicolas.brisset at free.fr
Sun Sep 5 00:28:20 CEST 2010

Hi Peter,

let me guess: the weather is not better in Berlin than in Munich today. It seems you've been pretty active :-)
Speaking about speed in the ASCII datasource, I haven't looked at the code since you changed it recently but if I remember it correctly in the past we allocated memory in chunks of a fixed size, meaning that if there was a very large amount of data we would do a lot of reallocs. I suspect this is not great performance-wise. I was thinking about a trick that may be helpful: ASCII files should have a size that grows more or less proportionnally with the number of lines, hence samples. That means that when we've read a couple of lines and know the file size, we should be able to determine the number of samples with a fairly good accuracy and realloc directly the right amount of memory.
I don't know how much that would help for performance and if it still makes sense with today's code, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks for the plot drag&drop stuff, I'll test it and let you know what I think about it.

Cheers,

Nicolas