[Kst] Plans for the website / video tutorials

Brisset, Nicolas Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Mon Nov 22 09:29:05 CET 2010

Hi,

there is a demonstration of kst in my company planned next Tuesday. So I
thought it would be a nice goal to have modernized the website and
provided a couple of video tutorials until then. Goals are always nice,
especially those where you don't risk getting fired when you miss them
:-) Not sure I'll make it, but I can at least try.

So I looked at that over the week-end, and I have something working well
(under Windows only!) to create the video tutorials easily. I have
actually thought in detail about the first one, which will be more or
less the equivalent of the one I did
<http://kst-plot.kde.org/datawizard+zoom.html>  a few years back for kst
1.x. It should have sound instead of annotations, that will be much less
work to create. Expect to see it soon :-)

Then, there is the website. I'd like it to look much more modern, and it
seems there's a lot to gain from using the KDE website framework
(Capacity <http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/kde.org/Capacity_HOWTO> ). I
have set things up on my PC to be able to create it locally before
committing it to the actual website and breaking everything :-) I feel
confident that we can reach something good without too much time
investment. I am planning to move the existing site one level down
(kst-plot.kde.org/kst1/) and add a link to it from the new main page. Is
that OK with everybody? It may break some links, but I see no better
way...

There is also the question of screenshots. We need a lot of them and
really sexy ones! I don't know about others, but I definitely base my
impression on screenshots before I download a program and try using it.
So please send all the stunning pictures you have of kst in action my
way! Please use PNG instead of JPG, otherwise sharp edges (like black
text on a white background) get blurry.

There are things I don't use, so I'd especially appreciate your help for
the following:

-          spectrograms

-          images (e.g. FITS, there is one currently)

-          color maps / contour maps

-          matrices

-          fancy curves with error bars

Regarding the screenshots, I don't know what's better: show the wide
range of supported platforms with possibly each image having its own
style, or standardizing them to oxygen on Linux and the default Windows
style (for instance - we definitely want to show at least 2 platforms).
I'd tend to let everybody do it the way they want, to keep the effort
low as I'd like to have many nice screenshots...

Thoughts?

Nicolas

Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Donauwoerth
Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
Geschaeftsfuehrung/Board of Management:
Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much.
It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message.