[Kst] kst 2.x: dbus interface / datasource API

Matthew D Truch matt at truch.net
Tue Mar 9 00:56:07 CET 2010

> You write data with GetData?  Or is there some metonymy going on here
> between GetData (a software library) and Dirfile (a data format).
>
> I admittedly haven't put it through it's paces, but my impression has
> always been that the putdata() call in GetData isn't suited for
> writing large quantities of data to dirfiles.  (Where "large quantity"
> is any amount sufficiently large to make you concerned with things like
> I/O speed.)  putdata() doesn't even use the rudimentary I/O buffering
> provided by stdio.

True, in the BLAST example I gave above (1000ish channels at 5 or 100
Hz) we don't use the getdata library (but a home-grown solution that is
optimized for the system it runs in).  But I have used the putdata()
call from the getdata library on a low power (aka slow) machine with
almost a hundred 10 Hz channels and it did just fine (aka consumed a
negligible amount of processor or io cycles).  Of course, there's a big
difference between that and the BLAST example I give, but I didn't seem
to have a problem with putdata() at all.

--
"Duct Tape is like the Force.  It has a dark side, a light side, and holds the universe together."
matt at truch.net
http://matt.truch.net/