[Kst] kst 2.x: dbus interface / datasource API

Matthew D Truch matt at truch.net
Mon Mar 8 23:07:06 CET 2010

> Speaking of that, I was also wondering whether it would not be time to
> look into getdata. We will certainly investigate a bit in that area,
> though we were wondering how it performs if there are many variables
> to be written so often into so many files. File IO has the reputation
> of being slow. Is there some sort of buffering/memory caching being
> done? Is there a limit on the number of variables that can be recorded
> simultaneously? We routinely have simulations producing a few thousand
> vars at 50 Hz... Maybe in such a case netCDF or CDF are better
> choices?

I can't imaging that netCDF or CDF also don't write to disk?  But I've
never used them in real time.

That said, I use getdata real time alot.  Our "standard" BLAST dataset
has about 300 "variables" being written at 100 Hz along with an
additional 600 variables being written at 5 Hz.  With very modest few
year old machines, we can read and write these data with getdata with no
problem at all.  I doubt that you'd have issues with your usage case.

In fact, the reason we (Barth) came up with the "dirfile" that getdata
reads/writes is because with that many variables, if you're only looking
at a few at a time (even though you're writing them all), being able to
scan forward and backward in the file is *greatly* improved over
something that writes one large file that contains all the internal
fields split up in time.

--
"Hermits don't have peer pressure."
matt at truch.net