[Kst] Bugzilla Versions

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Fri Aug 20 07:21:54 CEST 2010

Am Dienstag, den 17.08.2010, 16:06 -0400 schrieb Barth Netterfield:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 7:30 PM,  <nicolas.brisset at free.fr> wrote:
> > 1) Linux packages: nobody has suggested it but maybe we should use the OpenSUSE build service. It seems a lot of people have started using it and it provides support for all the major distros, not only openSUSE. It is somewhat strange that we'd distribute only Windows packages of a program that started as Linux-only!
>
> Steve Benton has been building ubuntu packages (he has it reduced to a
> single script), and I think that Matt Truch will build Fedora.  We
> could look into the openSUSE build service though.  What is involved
> with making it work.

I'll update the webpage with a link to Steve's packages.

> > 2) we definitely need *more press work*. I think this is extremely important in the long run. I've said it a number of times before, but I think kst has far too little mindshare. It is a very good program, powerful and usable, with a great community. But almost nobody knows it! I think the 2.0.0 release is an opportunity to spread the word, we should not miss on it. I suggest discussing the options here, from making the website sexier to possibly changing the name over pretty screencasts and anything that can help!
>
> Up to now, I have been hesitant to advertise the kst2, but it is
> finally to the point where I'm reasonably confident.
>
> An informative and complete website is a must.  A flashy one?  OK.
> The biggest issue is advertising.  Clearly kde-apps is good.  We could
> try to get a note on the dot.  Any other ideas?

kde-apps is a good idea. But do we need flash/Ajax? I like it to have a
webpage which is easy to maintain without the help of other tools than
an editor.

> We also need a good and current tutorial so people know what can be
> done.  Its not obvious at first glance.

Could we bring kst to the market as Origin replacement? Kst as nice tool
to generate images for papers/thesis? Then a tutorial would be
important.

> > 3) as a direct consequence of 2), we need a roadmap clarifying our relationship to KDE (I also believe kst should stay a(n optionally) KDE application, but let's not go into this discussion now). We need to announce in which direction we'll be going, maybe talk to other similar projects (scidavis for example), etc... In the end users and developers should have a clear vision of where kst is headed.
>
> I think we have decided to become a KDE app under linux.  What we do
> under Windows and Mac is not as clear to me.  Peter is the expert.

ATM I think there will always be also a Qt-only version of Kst.
For KDE-ifing kst we first introduce cmake as build system, which
automatically checks for KDE's devel libs, if available KDE specific
code is enabled by a macro, otherwise we only build a Qt version.

This way have a KDE-kst which also builds on the KDE ports to Windows
and Mac. But having also the Qt-only version makes is much simpler to
deploy to Windows. For example see this blog:
http://blog.volker-lanz.de/2010/08/19/workout-on-windows/

Peter