[Kst] kst 2.0 : No auto update?

Peter Milne Peter.Milne at d-tacq.com
Mon Aug 16 16:17:23 CEST 2010

Hi Barth, Peter

Thanks a lot for your answers.

summary:
Peter K. said that: kst 2.0 uses QFileSystemWatcher
Barth said that: update works on their system.

QFileSystemWatcher should be a nice OS independent solution, better than
a custom timer polling hack.

However, looks like I didn't give enough information.

My data source is an intelligent digitizer featuring an embedded Linux
system. To export data to MS-Win users we can drop a subset of the
captured data onto a SAMBA export. The data is in DirFile format, any
host system  the directory mounted can plot it directly using Kst.

It works well, other than in Kst2.0, it doesn't update dynamically, and
that's probably due to Qt:

http://www.qtforum.org/article/33353/qfilesystemmodel-update-problem-for-shared-network-samba-location.html

summary:
> QFileSystemModel along with QFileSystemWatcher are only for local
> host usage. Mounts and remote access will probably need to be handled
> differently through something like a threaded timer that might check
> the cksum of a mounted directory

It's a shame, because Kst 1.8, on a Linux SAMBA mount does update
correctly. I guess it's the price of portability.

We'll get by with pressing the "Reload" button so long, I'll try the
threaded timer hack some time.

Thanks again for your excellent support.

Best regards

Peter