[Kst] reading in NetCDF matrix (2-dim vector)

Brisset, Nicolas Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Thu Apr 22 16:17:59 CEST 2010

Hi Tom,

the netcdf datasource for kst currently does not support reading in
matrices. It should however be fairly easy to add if you feel so
inclined, knowing that matrices are less well supported than vectors as
far as I know. I myself have only worked with vectors up to now, so I
may not be aware of everything. But I fear there is no easy way to slice
matrices into vectors (). Plus it makes little sense to me, as each
variable may have metadata and such attached to it and you would lose
all that by grouping vectors into a matrix. That said, I don't know your
constraints well enough. Maybe you have a good reason indeed to do it
that way.

Another path you may want to go is making some changes to the netcdf
datasource so that when it finds matrices it provides their lines and
columns as extra vectors. In that case all the work should be done at
datasource level, but that definitely sounds feasible. You could query
the dimensions of your 2-dimensional variables and add to the field list
vectors like Matrix1/Column1, Matrix1/Column2, Matrix1/Line1, etc...

Note: in the current code, it seems that the dimensions of netcdf vars
are not checked, that is *bad*. For cdf, it is done better.

Then, the other question you may ask yourself is whether to use kst
1.9.x or 2.x for that work. Kst 2.x is still beta quality, but starting
to work and there have been quite a few changes (among others wrt
datasources) so that what you do for one version of the netcdf
datasource may require substantial porting to the other one. FYI, kst2
also works under Windows but nobody has yet tried netcdf under Windows.
So it is still definitely experimental.

Regards,

Nicolas