[Kst] beta3-2

D. V. Wiebe dvw at ketiltrout.net
Fri Oct 9 02:51:13 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 04:48:03PM -0400, Matthew D Truch wrote:
> > > I'm not sure I understand.
> > >
> > > why not
> > > ./install-kst release /dest/dir/absolute/prefix
> > >
> > > Assuming /absolute/prefix/lib is in ld.so.conf, everything should work fine
> > > when you unroll the package, shouldn't it?
> > >
> > > cbn
> >
> > I suppose that would work, so long as none of the files that get install
> > have $PREFIX hard-coded in them.  If it does, you'd get the situation that kst
> > would be looking in the (probably non-existant) $DESTDIR/$PREFIX for things
> > instead of the $PREFIX.
> >
> > I think packagers prefer to assume that the installed programs do indeed
> > contain references to $PREFIX, and, as a result, prefer to separate $PREFIX
> > from $DESTDIR, to be sure that the installed files can't be contaminated by
> > $DESTDIR.
>
> As long as the ./build-kst step can be done immediately before that and
> doesn't have to know about /dest/dir, then it's cool by me (and as long
> as ./install-kst actually just installs things and doesn't compile some
> more or create/edit config files).

I assumed you had to build an installable version of kst2 with
./install-kst instead of ./build-kst to avoid the insertion of
build-path RPATHs in the binary.  (To prevent the trojan problem).

I haven't looked through the source, but running strings on all the
files that ended up in the install directory didn't come up with any
instances of the install path, so maybe Barth's suggestion is sufficient?

Cheers,
-dvw
Don Wiebe                                   dvw at physics.ubc.ca
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of British Columbia
6224 Agricultural Road                      Tele: +1-604-822-2585
University Endowment Lands, BC
Canada   V6T 1Z1                            http://ketiltrout.net/