[Kst] beta3-2

D. V. Wiebe dvw at ketiltrout.net
Thu Oct 8 22:41:24 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 10:21:50AM -0400, Barth Netterfield wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand.
>
> why not
> ./install-kst release /dest/dir/absolute/prefix
>
> Assuming /absolute/prefix/lib is in ld.so.conf, everything should work fine
> when you unroll the package, shouldn't it?
>
> cbn

I suppose that would work, so long as none of the files that get install
have $PREFIX hard-coded in them.  If it does, you'd get the situation that kst
would be looking in the (probably non-existant) $DESTDIR/$PREFIX for things
instead of the $PREFIX.

I think packagers prefer to assume that the installed programs do indeed
contain references to $PREFIX, and, as a result, prefer to separate $PREFIX
from $DESTDIR, to be sure that the installed files can't be contaminated by
$DESTDIR.

-dvw

Don Wiebe                                   dvw at physics.ubc.ca
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of British Columbia
6224 Agricultural Road                      Tele: +1-604-822-2585
University Endowment Lands, BC
Canada   V6T 1Z1                            http://ketiltrout.net/