[Kst] beta3-2

D. V. Wiebe dvw at ketiltrout.net
Wed Oct 7 03:17:00 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 08:37:46PM -0400, Barth Netterfield wrote:
> I have repackaged beta 3, with the build system set to call the libraries
> libkst2*.so, so there should be no problem with either building or installing
> with kst1.x installed.
>
> the new package is at
> http://galadriel.astro.utoronto.ca/kst/kst-2.0.0-beta3-2.tgz
>
> I plan to upload Thursday.
>
> cbn

./build_kst worked here on Slackware, so that's an improvement.

The INSTALL instructions are vague on how to build a packageable version.
Is a DESTDIR-like thing supported?  Is that what's called OUTPUT_DIR
passed to ./install-kst?  That one doesn't seem to do anything.

Looking at the qmake generated makefiles seem to indicate I should set
the envirnomental variable INSTALL_ROOT; so let's try creating a kst
that will eventually be installed in /absolute/prefix, but that I want
to stage, for packaging reasons in /dest/dir (ie. so everything will be
installed in /dest/dir/absolute/prefix/*)  I tried:

$ INSTALL_ROOT=/dest/dir ./install-kst anything-but-debug /absolute/prefix

almost works.  It installs things in /dest/dir/* instead of the intended
/dest/dir/absolute/prefix/*.  (ie. setting INSTALL_ROOT ignores
INSTALL_PREFIX.)

As an aside, you should point out in the INSTALL document that the
INSTALL_PREFIX passed to ./install-kst should be an absolute path or
weirdness will ensue.  (The particular weirdness is things get installed
in the src tree.)

Doing something like

$ ./install-kst still-not-debug /some/path/not/usr

properly installs kst2 in /some/path/not/usr, but the executable can't
be run, because there are no RPATHs in it pointing to
/some/path/not/usr/lib .

Cheers,
-dvw
Don Wiebe                                   dvw at physics.ubc.ca
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of British Columbia
6224 Agricultural Road                      Tele: +1-604-822-2585
University Endowment Lands, BC
Canada   V6T 1Z1                            http://ketiltrout.net/