[Kst] Plotting large datasets in real time

Theodore Kisner tskisner.public at gmail.com
Thu May 7 17:04:06 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 06 May 2009 01:58:56 pm bug.zilla.vynce at neverbox.com wrote:
> I've been trying to get a test program working with getdata-0.5.0 and Kst
> 1.7.0. It appears that this version is too new for Kst to understand. I'm
> guessing that it's getting stuck on the new data-type names and I don't see
> any way to set the output format version

I have seen that too- it *seems* to work if you:

1.  use the "old" raw format types "d", "f", "s", etc
2.  when you first write some data with getdata-0.5.0, put the "/ENCODING none"
line in the format file.
3.  after some data exists, comment out the encoding line with a "#"
character.
4.  now both getdata and kst will happily use the dirfile.

I have not investigated this at all in the source.  Obviously the solution is
for the dirfile datasource to use the external library if a configure check finds
it.  I recall some email traffic about this and general agreement.  Other people
can comment on the status of that- I'm sorry I have not been following that
thread of conversation...

-Ted