[Kst] Browsing history offline with Git

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Thu Dec 17 20:01:36 CET 2009

Recently I've asked on the list how to get the diff of a big commit.
Now I've the answer: Use Git as subversion client. There is a HOWTO
in devel-doc.

Here the contend because, the commit message on the list doesn't show
the content (the file was added via git, it really works!):

Using Git as subversion client

Set up git repository, done only once
Init your git repository with the svn path
    git svn init svn

Get an old revision as starting point (git slang: basepoint)
e.g http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kst/2008-January/015217.html

    git svn fetch -r768342

(without the revision it starts checking for commit at revsion 100,
but also only getting all changes from january takes a while)

Update your local clone

    git svn fetch
Update your local actual branch 'master' (move to basepoint to HEAD of
the fetched data)

    git svn rebase

Browse history offline with a git-GUI gitk, gitg, qgit, ...

 Commit your changes to your local repository
     git commit "message" -a
 Commit to public svn repositors
     git svn dcommit