[Kst] Browsing history offline with Git

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Thu Dec 17 20:01:36 CET 2009

Recently I've asked on the list how to get the diff of a big commit.
Now I've the answer: Use Git as subversion client. There is a HOWTO
in devel-doc.

Here the contend because, the commit message on the list doesn't show
the content (the file was added via git, it really works!):

Using Git as subversion client

http://git-scm.com/

Set up git repository, done only once
--------------------------------------
Init your git repository with the svn path

    git svn init svn
+ssh://YOU_USERNAME@svn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/work/kst/portto4

Get an old revision as starting point (git slang: basepoint)
e.g http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kst/2008-January/015217.html

    git svn fetch -r768342

(without the revision it starts checking for commit at revsion 100,
but also only getting all changes from january takes a while)

Update
------
Update your local clone

    git svn fetch

Update your local actual branch 'master' (move to basepoint to HEAD of
the fetched data)

    git svn rebase

History
-------
Browse history offline with a git-GUI gitk, gitg, qgit, ...

Commiting
 Commit your changes to your local repository

     git commit "message" -a

 Commit to public svn repositors

     git svn dcommit

Cheers,