[Kst] The stand-alone GetData and kst

Andrew Walker arwalker at sumusltd.com
Mon Oct 27 18:06:15 CET 2008

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: D. V. Wiebe [mailto:dvw at ketiltrout.net]
Sent: October 24, 2008 2:50 PM
To: kst at kde.org
Subject: Re: [Kst] The stand-alone GetData and kst

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 05:06:12PM -0700, Andrew Walker wrote:
> Does your A1b require any code changes outside of the
> kst/src/datasources/dirfile/ folder?

None of the options modify anything outside of the /dirfile/ folder.

> Are the changes all backward compatible?

Yes.

> If the answers are no and yes then I don't have any real problems with the
> A1b approach.
>
> Andrew

I don't like A1b, since it means that fixes made to the GetData library
require recompiling kst.  Also, kst would still not be useable by ACT
unless we also include slimlib (their compression library, not part
of the stand-alone GetData) in kst.

I really don't have the time to maintain a kst branch, so George's
suggestion isn't really feasible.

How about this (this is basically A1c, with an extra configure check):

1. Minimally fix the buggy code in /datasources/dirfile/getdata.c
2. At configure time, if an external getdata library is detected, use
the exteral library, otherwise, use this getdata.c shipped with kst.

This has the advantage of being fully functional for users of the
stand-alone GetData, while permitting Planck to keep their status quo,
by simply not installing the new library.

It's also less invasive to the kst code than A1b would be.

-dvw