[Kst] extragear

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Apr 10 21:54:03 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 10 April 2007, Adam Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 April 2007, David Faure wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 April 2007, George Staikos wrote:
> > > I think it's well beyond time to move to one app per top level now.
> >
> > That's pretty orthogonal [finding out which apps are kde3 and kde4 would
> > still be a problem].
> >
> > And anyway, as long as you can configure each app independently (with
> > cmake), you won't be bothered by the dependencies of the other apps.
> > This doesn't require moving stuff around, it just requires more modular
> > cmakelists.txt files.
>
> They can stay in the same place although at some point KDE3 based extragear
> apps should probably move to branch.  I'd like to see no top level build for
> extragear modules.  How many distributions package the extragear modules
> together anyway?

Being able to build all of extragear in one go is actually pretty useful - for instance
for people making API changes in kdelibs currently. I even added an extragear/CMakeLists.txt
(and a playground/CMakeLists.txt) in order to build -all- of extragear and all of playground
in one go, not just module per module.

I think both levels are pretty useful; toplevel for "an eye on everything" developers,
and per-app for app developers. The intermediate level (the modules) is just necessary
in between; at least it needs CMakeLists that forward to subdirs, it doesn't need to be
useable as the cmake srcdir, but well, it's the level that already works ;-)

George wrote:
> For the moment we're on unsermake/automake still...
I know you are; but do you really think the *kde3* code should be reorganized?
That seems strange to me; I would combine any reorg with the switch to cmake,
to avoid doubled work...