[Kst] Dummy objects and KstBasicPlugin

Brisset, Nicolas Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Mon Oct 9 18:11:13 CEST 2006

> > OTOH, creating a shadow dummy object has performance
> implications if
> > the plugin author decides to do anything resource intensive in the
> > plugins constructor.
I know I'm not George or Barth :-) but apart from the answer about KDE
3.1 being required until now I made the other day, I also wanted to
point out that many datasources do expensive things (like parsing the
complete file for random access later) in the constructor. As far as I
know, they are also plugins (but pardon me if what you mention here does
not apply to them: I must admit I have not taken a close look at your
work yet). We might get around it easily by adding an explicit call to
datasource->init() and moving expensive stuff from the ctor to init(),
but that changes the API...