[Kst] branches/work/kst/hierarchy/kst/devel-docs

Brisset, Nicolas Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Thu Nov 16 17:35:19 CET 2006

>  M  +41 -17    objectnaming.txt
I read the doc (thanks websvn, for other lazy but interested people here
is the link:
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/kst/hierarchy/kst/devel-docs/objectn
aming.txt?rev=605005&view=markup) and find it nice. Thanks for that
work!

I see how that will allow to use metadata and solve bug #132954 (and
probably a couple others). I can't wait until that's ready :-)

Now, there are of course a few tricky issues like the one raised about
field names containing the "path separator" ("-" in the doc). I believe
"-" IS going to be used quite often in field names, so it needs to be
possible to escape it, or choose another name. Since we're talking about
paths I'd suggest "/" as it should be quite intuitive to use that to
access "nested" info, and not so common in field names.
Another long-standing bug I have that's probably related is #120772
where I'd like to have custom strings: they could be held in a USER
namespace with a nice little config dialog in the settings menu. Sounds
good to me :-)

The last comment I have (it's been discussed somewhere before, probably
132954) is that access to datasource metadata should not require too
long paths, and datasource names can't be just filenames (file1.dat
could exist in more that one directory). You mention tag names for
datasources too, in other word "kst aliases": that's better. If we
auto-generate a unique name like for vectors (and based on the
filename), that can be changed as well then that's fine I think.

OK, I don't want to have you read long posts when you should be coding
:-) So go ahead !