[Kst] update changes

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Mon May 29 18:15:29 CEST 2006

On Monday 29 May 2006 09:24, Brisset, Nicolas wrote:

> > 1) Scalars now trigger updates the way all other view objects
> > do.  It is possible (I haven't checked) that user-modified
> > vector changes don't trigger updates still, but this is much
> > less of a concern at the moment.  I think I was able to
> > implement this without performance regressions and we will
> > test it with some sessions this week to make sure that the
> > labels all update properly.
>
> Hum, that sounds like good news. Does it mean that if you have added a
> label in a plot to display, say [VEC1-Mean] it will update automatically if
> you change data files or sample ranges ?

  It should, yes.

> > 2) The event monitor got some major changes:
> >    a) It no longer crashes or races when an event fires -
> > things are done in the right thread.
> >    b) It can now execute KstScript when an event fires
>
> So, my feature request #101823 was actually implemented ? How nice... Now,
> if this allows to do what I described in the companion request #101825
> (which was also linked with a discussion back in July 2005 about indexed
> access into vectors, which I think has not yet been implemented), that
> would be just... great !!! I'd appreciate an update on what is already
> implemented, and if there are plans for the rest. As far as my needs are
> concerned, the fact that scripts are triggered before or after the updates
> is not really an issue (we mostly use non-streaming data anyway), but I
> understand it could be important for other users: let us hear what they
> think !

  Actually I think we will take a different approach for some of these things
in the future.  I am thinking about the idea of having user-defined scripts
that run after each iteration of the update loop.

> > [...] I hope to make a full Kst release by the end of the
> > week.  We need one due to NAD integration.  I discovered that
> > NAD requires a minor change in KstDataSource, so we can't
> > just package the datasource plugin.  Any other changes that
> > need to go into the next release?  Any other feedback on updates?
>
> I'm taking this opportunity to list the changes I'm most eager to have in a
> next version. I'm well aware that it can't all go into a new release this
> week, but maybe some of it will ? I'm ready to make new bugzilla entries if
> it helps, but most of these have already been provided to either bugzilla
> or the mailing list.

[...]

> I'll stay tuned, so if you have questions or comments, don't hesitate!

  If there are bugs, please do file reports.  Patches are welcome too.
However we do have a focus on some specific tasks for this release and we
can't let them be slowed down by other things.