[Kst] extragear/graphics/kst/src/libkstapp

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 22 00:45:42 CET 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 15:31, George Staikos wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 March 2006 18:21, Barth Netterfield wrote:
> > -I remember pot-shot style comments back and forth, but not a full
> > discussion on this particular topic.
> > -Does QT4 designer support _ui.h ?
>
>   No, nor does it support the "_i.h" approach.  UI files are basically a
> function call that generate the UI into a widget now, along with a class
> that holds the pointers.

So you can no longer inherit from a designer generated widget?

> > -I don't like .ui.h.  It forces me to know one more set of uis (namely,
> > how to add and remove includes and methods using designer - which annoys
> > me) and provides yet another editor that I am suppose to work in.... for
> > the benefit of.... using yet another editor and yet another UI.
>
>   You can use either with ui.h.

How do you add member variables, new methods, or include files (that might be
needed for, eg, the new member variable) without using designer?  By editing
the XML?  Why is all this easier?  I find it a royal pain.

There is also the problem that the build system doesn't always pick up changes
to the ui.h file when you edit it (maybe unsermake does, but make didn't).

I'm not saying that we should go change everything.  But I see no reason to
ask Andrew to port his patch to .ui.h at this point.

But, for everyone: in the future, don't unilaterally change this aspect of any
class.

And please revert the revert (or call me).