[Kst] Real-time data display without files ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Apr 23 08:18:22 CEST 2006

Hi again,

Following on my earlier post, I have a more generic design question:

    Can I build a plugin that 'just listens' and gets data from
    some other callback mechanism -- without requiring a file?

The answer is probably provided in a thread from September 2004

    http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kst/2004-September/003540.html
    http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kst/2004-September/003555.html

and may simply be 'nope' but I thought I'd ask anyway.

My data can come in at maybe 200 to 300 updates per second at peak. I also
may want to view and relate several such streams.  As a start, I should be
able to plug into that data pretty easily via code that listens to our data
streams and emits csv data (for which I may just have to reformat the time
stamp to get suitable 'ctime' seconds for kst).

However, for efficiency, could I just 'listen' to data that is not coming via
files -- without re-architecting kst?  It just doesn't seem right to divert
all that data to file only to read it back later.  (I should note that we
already have existing logging and capturing mechanisms.)

Thanks for any comments,  Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison