[Kst] dirfile error reporting

Matthew D Truch matt at truch.net
Wed Apr 12 22:16:36 CEST 2006

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 01:54:14PM -0400, George Staikos wrote:
>   Are you thinking of a "message repeated x times" sort of thing, like the way
> syslog does it?

Well, something like that, but we aren't quite as limited as syslog.
Syslog is stuck with the fact that it is a flat text file.  In the case
where two different messages are being repeatedly spit out, the syslog
algorithm fails (as I used to see on my laptop when the wireless driver
every 2 seconds would say "firmware error - need to restart" followed by
"firmware restarted" so my syslog would rapidly fill up.  (Now they have
just one error, so I'm ok).  In our case, I think we should be more
smart.  If we have two error messages that repeat (think about two
different fields that can't be found), it should keep track of the
duplicates for each entity.  Furthermore, the 'stop sign' shouldn't
reappear if only to increase the 'duplicate message' counter for a
specific warning message the user already saw.

Am I making sense (I didn't really sleep on the plane so I might be a
little wonky)?

--
"One in every seven days is a Thursday."
matt at truch.net
http://matt.truch.net/