[Kst] healpix status

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sun Oct 30 00:53:41 CEST 2005

On Saturday 29 October 2005 16:51, Ted Kisner wrote:
> On Saturday 29 October 2005 13:40, George Staikos wrote:
> >    I'm not too worried about the different configurations even.  Just the
> > basics of the loading code would be great to have tested.  We can also
> > use these for performance regression tests as they become more
> > full-featured.
>
> ok, I'll see what I can do.  I will say that when using large projection
> matrices, things are slow.  There is no real way around this, since we have
> to go through every pixel in the matrix and assign it a value.  However, I
> have a future idea that will make it better:
>
> 1.  leave the resolution at <= the screen resolution.

   This is exactly something I wanted to review for the 2d curves as well.

> 2.  have the datasource query the current kst2dplot window for the current
> zoom range.  (need to work out details here)
> 3.  have a button in the datasource that when clicked will "project to
> current window range".
> 4.  the user can now zoom in and out until they get to an interesting
> feature. They click the button and the map gets re-rendered at higher
> detail.

   How about doing some sort of progressive loading?  It could update in low
resolution, return UPDATE, then on the next update, increase resolution while
reusing the previous data, return UPDATE again, etc...

> >   Beyond the automated unit tests, it's also useful to have test sessions
> > we can just open in Kst to make sure everything looks right.
>
> ok, so basically an example data file and a corresponding *.kst file that
> we can just open and play around with?

  Yes

> > Once we start to get a useful collection, I'll have an automated
> > visual-regression suite implemented.  We have one in KHTML and it
> > works very well.
>
> so you write some code that actually goes and manipulates the widgets and
> dialogs?  sounds like it would be similar to watching a chess computer play
> itself :-)

  Actually we could do that too.  There are tools for it, and Qt makes it
quite easy.  The DCOP based test scripts also do this, and we can even do it
in more detail with KstScript.  However I was thinking more about generating
plots and printing them, then comparing the outputs.  That's what KHTML does.