[Kst] kst-1.1.0 and svn HEAD X Errors

Mark Hymers mark.hymers at ncl.ac.uk
Sun Oct 9 00:31:35 CEST 2005

Hi,

I maintain the kst packages for Debian and have run into a bit of a
problem.  Up until recently everything worked but something in the
KDE-3.4 transition caused previously working binaries of kst-1.1.0 to
stop working.  I recompiled 1.1.0 in Debian unstable (against KDE 3.4)
and it exhibited the same issue as does SVN HEAD.  Interestingly,
kst-1.0.0 run in a test chroot shows the same symptoms after the kde
libraries are upgraded from 3.3 to 3.4.

The problem is that plots no longer display at all.  Instead, a steady
stream of X Errors is provided relating to various operations including
X_PolyFillRectangle and various other problems.  I've been trying to
isolate the problem but with little success.  To be honest, I'm
surprised that no-one else has hit it!

Here are some examples of the X Errors:

X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
  Major opcode:  70
  Minor opcode:  0
  Resource id:  0x0

X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
  Major opcode:  155
  Minor opcode:  4
  Resource id:  0x0

X Error: RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter) 181
  Major opcode:  155
  Minor opcode:  6
  Resource id:  0x1a00b15

X Error: RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter) 181
  Major opcode:  155
  Minor opcode:  23
  Resource id:  0x1a00b15

X Error: RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter) 181
  Major opcode:  155
  Minor opcode:  5
  Resource id:  0x1a00b15

X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
  Major opcode:  67
  Minor opcode:  0
  Resource id:  0x1a00b15

X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
  Major opcode:  66
  Minor opcode:  0
  Resource id:  0x1a00b15

X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
  Major opcode:  62
  Minor opcode:  0
  Resource id:  0x41a00afc

X Error of failed request:  RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  155 (RENDER)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  7 (RenderFreePicture)
  Picture id in failed request: 0x1a00b40
  Serial number of failed request:  40992

Does anyone have any suggestions from here on?  I suspect I'll need to
do backtraces and all that but was hoping someone might have an obvious
suggestion before starting down that road.

Cheers,

Mark

--
Mark Hymers <mark.hymers at ncl.ac.uk>

"The relationship between journalists and politicians has often been likened
 to that between a dog and a lamp post, although I have never worked out who
 is supposed to be which."
     Nick Assinder, BBC Online Political Correspondent