[Kst] extragear/graphics/kst/patches

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Tue Nov 1 02:08:58 CET 2005

On Monday 31 October 2005 19:38, Barth Netterfield wrote:
> How much speed up do you get?

  In terms of speed in general I did some tests today.  The inlining really
helps.  Non-debug builds are very clearly significantly faster than debug
builds now.  They're still X limited, though, and algorithmically limited.
For instance, take demo.kst.  If you scroll the PSDs, you can easily notice a
significant slowdown as more points are plotted.  For 1.3 we can think about
reworking the drawing algorithm to improve this.  Meanwhile, optimized builds
should be quite usable for real-world data in trunk again, and probably a bit
faster than 1.1.

  I can't help but think that our PSD algorithm could be a point of
improvement too.  It's a big glaring hotspot in the profiler, comparable to
the equation interpreter (which should -not- be the case).  On the other
hand, I have some new ideas for a way to significantly speed up the equation
interpreter too and I hope to do some experiments on it one day.