[Kst] Reverts, and 3.1

Brisset, Nicolas Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Wed May 25 09:19:45 CEST 2005

>    I think the only appropriate solution is to stay with 3.1,
> or to upgrade
> -everyone- to 3.4.
Maybe this is a stupid suggestion, but wouldn't it be possible to
install KDE 3.4 on the machines running RedHat 9.0 as it seems to be the
cause for all problems ? I understand it may be difficult to
reinstall/upgrade the complete OS on all machines, but a KDE upgrade
should be fairly easy to automate, especially if all machines have the
same setup as seems to be the case.
Compiling KDE 3.4 under RH9 should still more or less work (maybe some
libs need to be updated, but that does not sound too complicated). It
can probably either be compiled from sources (with konstruct) or
installed using kde-redhat packages (http://kde-redhat.sf.net, but I
don't know if they have KDE 3.4 for RH9). I have no idea whether
upgrading to KDE 3.4 could have side-effects, but in the worst case it
can be installed in a non-standard location alongside the "official" KDE
version and the version can then be selected at login time.

This scenario would have at least two benefits:
1) in terms of development: less time wasted in maintaining 3.1
compatiblity and fixing occasional problems, cleaner code base and
possibly nice new possibilities
2) from the user's perspective: KDE 3.4 is _really_ much better than 3.1
!!