[Kst] Reverts, and 3.1

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Mon May 23 21:36:45 CEST 2005

On Monday 23 May 2005 13:14, Barth Netterfield wrote:
> Let not revert commits for these reasons (instead if someone notices them,
> just ask the committer to fix them) because:
> 	i) As far as I know, there is no promise that HEAD work under 3.1 all the
> time - just that the releases (including DRs and Betas) do.
> 	ii) it is good to get testing new features as early as possible, in case
> there are fundamental issues.

   With svn it's really easy to put the patch back in with one command.  I'm
trying to prepare for demos on 3.1 and I'm blocked when that patch is in.

> But this brings up the ongoing question: when can we break from 3.1?
> It has become a growing pain to maintain it: especially the UI file
> incompatibility: the XPM/PNG issue makes it a huge pain to work on UI files
> at all.

  Right, why I raised this topic before 1.1.

> So:
> i) can raise the requirement now?
> ii) what should we raise it to?
> 	-What is the lowest version of qt which can use pngs?
> 	-What versions are people using now?
>
> I propose we raise to 3.3 for 1.2, but keep 3.1 for 1.1.?

   Qt 3.2 works I think.  This is why I brought it up before.  If Kst doesn't
work with Qt 3.1 at this point, I will have some major issues when I attempt
to demo scripting next week.  None of the planck machines are running > 3.1.
I'm not doing (cannot do) this with Kst 1.1.x.

   I'm more than happy to move the requirement up to 3.3/3.4.  It doesn't much
matter if we go right to what is in the latest distros if we move up the
requirement since no-one is going to upgrade to a version that's only
"slightly" newer than what they're using.  If you want to do it now, I'll
have to branch HEAD to do my work for at least the next 2-3 weeks and then
merge it all back later.