[Kst] RE: error message

Brisset, Nicolas Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Fri Mar 18 16:38:31 CET 2005

>    Actually it was a bug in my autoconf check which I fixed
> shortly after.  It was not linking to the C++ version of the
> library.  It should be doing it now.
I also had the problem yesterday with a recent snapshot that CDFLIBS was
not set even though the configure checks found the cdf header and lib,
and the datasource was compiled. I haven't had time to investigate
though...

> I haven't checked for
> PIC issues but IIRC, the netCDF lib may not have been
> compiled PIC here which would also cause this type of problem
> on non-x86 platforms.
Apparently, the netcdf distribution does not provide an easy way to
compile a shared library. I added the -fPIC flag to CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS
manually at configure time, and generated the .so manually (there is
actually some help in one of the makefiles, like "make shared_library"
in the right directory, but it does not recompile with -fPIC). However,
I believe the -lnetcdf switch in the link command will use the .a lib if
there isn't any .so, and that should also work. Or am I wrong ?