[Kst] HPIC update

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Thu Jun 9 02:51:45 CEST 2005

On June 8, 2005 23:00, Theodore Kisner wrote:
> 0.  The HPIC datasource provides us with a full-sphere map stored in a
> KstVector.  The nside, ordering, etc can be accessed (approximately) from
> KstRVector->_file->_metadata.

what do you plan for part-sphere maps (like b2k deep)?  Will there be a way to auto-scale in xy?

> If the HPIC datasource is not accepted into
> SVN for political reasons, then hopefully any "replacement" healpix
> datasource would provide similar information in the form of KstVector +
> metadata.  I would think that the plan below is independent of the choice
> of healpix datasource..

Lets just include it.  If HEALPIX comes up with a GPL C implementation, we can re-visit the question.  As long as they don't, there is no question to visit. I have talked to Eric about HEALPIX in kst for some years now, it hasn't happened, so we don't really need to wait any longer, as far as I am concerned.

> 1.  Create a new class that is analogous to the KstMatrix/KstImage
> combination (class KstHpic : public KstDataObject).  This will store
> information about how the map is to be displayed.
>
> 2.  Add a list of these objects to Kst2DPlot.  Add a draw function.
>
> 3.  Add more dialogs to let users configure the display properties.
>
> 4.  command line bindings (e.g. kst -z 2 map.fits) and anything else.
>
> If there are no complaints, I'll start working on a finely-grained patchset
> to do this.

The problem with this is that it seems to add a parallel map structure to the Matrix/Image stuff, (which already has UI issues in actually accessing maps.)

Could we instead:

Convince data sources to output matrixes as well as vectors (this solves the current Matrix UI issues)
Add general map data source options to the command line (may not need much)
Use the data source configuration dialog stuff to configure how the healpix is projected.
Don't touch 2dplot.

This has the advantage of clearing the path for reading other types as maps as well, once the datasources for them have been written, without complicating 2dplot further.

It also means that the projection gets done at read time, not render time, and so should be faster.  The down-side is that one might want to over-sample the healpix map in the projection to preserve the non-square pixels....  But this could be a read-time option.

Thoughts?