[Kst] kdeextragear-2/kst/kst

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Tue Jan 11 07:44:20 CET 2005

On Monday 10 January 2005 22:05, Barth Netterfield wrote:

> The plot copy is a great feature.  But, in my opinion, it should be done as
> a standard copy/cut/paste (^C/^X/^V) if this is possible.  I am not so keen
> on D&D in this case.  Most apps seem to use copy/paste to make copies of
> graphics, etc, so we should follow what people expect.

   This is basically what I meant as well.  DND is already implemented and
wouldn't change in any way.  Basically someone does CTRL+C, CTRL+V and then
thinks "hmm, let's move these to a new window" so does RMB->Move To->X

> In Zoom Modes, copy coppies the mouse position into the clipboard (?) for
> pasting elsewhere.  This can stay as is.
>
> In Layout Mode, 'copy' should copy the the current plot or group of
> selected plots into the 'clipboard' for pasting elsewhere.  Paste should
> paste a copy of the coppied plot, located at the current position of the
> cursor. I'm not sure of what gets pasted if you copy somewhere else....
> perhaps the XML of the plot?  This way we could copy between ksts, and it
> makes all of the inheritance stuff straightforward (use the existing save
> stuff into a stream?)

   Yes actually.  This is what I was already working on for DND.  You put
together a full package of mime source and then let the app take whatever
format it wants.  PNG, XML, plot data, whatever...

> It makes copying between windows in any MDI mode straightforward.  The plot
> should be pasted with the top left corner of the plot at the current
> location of the cursor.

    Yes.  Moving between windows is still useful though, I think.

> In text mode, copy/paste should be used to copy labels, once we know how to
> select them.... (not now)

   View labels will be copyable as generic objects too.

> In the short term, you could just move the current implementation of Copy
> Plot to Layout Mode, where I looked for it as soon as I heard about it.
> But if we can figure out how to do copy/cut/paste, I would love it.

   And change the implementation (virtual function) to return a copy of
itself, making it recursive, etc.