[Kst] kdeextragear-2/kst/kst

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Tue Jan 11 00:04:41 CET 2005

On Friday 07 January 2005 18:22, Andrew Walker wrote:
> CVS commit by arwalker:
>
> Allow the user to easily copy a plot within the same window. This can be
> useful to provide different views of the same data very quickly. Some
> additional work could be done to:
>
> * offset the copied plot with respect to the original (at the moment the
> copy is placed directly over the original) * allow the plot to be copied to
> a different window

  This really seems like a layout-mode action to me.  I understand the value
in copying a plot specifically but the user basically has to switch to layout
mode right after in order to really use it, right?

   Here's how I think it should work:

  1) All objects should have copy/paste support, and selecting multiple
objects and doing a copy will copy all those objects, preserving their
relative positions and sizes.
  2) The copy action should only be available in layout mode since the user
has to go there anyway, and it is in effect a layout action anyway.
  3) Drag and drop will be used to copy to different windows[a].
Additionally, there could be an action to move an object to another
window[b].  Copy to another window is simply a non-generic implementation of
this.
  4) Implementation will be a virtual copy method in KstViewObject that
returns null by default and non-null if implemented in a child class and the
object is copyable.

*a Drag and drop is still disabled because we need to figure out how it should
work still.  There are a few issues to work out.  It's not a big deal to
leave this out for now.
*b The only reason I can see for this is that drag and drop is basically
impossible in tabbed mode.