[Kst] extragear/graphics/kst/kst

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sun Dec 18 02:35:23 CET 2005

Quoting Andrew Walker <arwalker at sumusltd.com>:

> The problem is that we have two concepts of transparent:
>
> for a rectangle (aka box) transparent means draw a rectangle
> for a label (text within a box) transparent means draw the text only

   The definition of transparent has to be clear.  When I put it in there, it
was defined to mean the background is transparent, and nothing else.

> Different behaviour for the same property, so they properly shouldn't
> have the same parent class. The correct fix would to be change
> the object hierarchy, but I believe we want to get out this release
> without making significant changes.
>
> Clearly what I've done is a bug fix as behaviour that was broken
> now works. I agree it is not an elegant bug fix, but I think the
> confidence we can have in the fix is worth the temporary hack.

   Object hierarchy is a -huge- issue for scripting.  We can't change the object
hierarchy of these later - the casting will fail.  I also don't understand why
border and background have to be linked.  This is fundamentally wrong.  They're
separate properties and should be treated as such.  There's nothing wrong with
forcing the border width to be 0 in the GUI when transparency is set on, but
ugly hacks in the object hierarchy are just not what I want to see in here at
this stage.