[Kst] Matrixes and datasources

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Mon Aug 8 20:37:13 CEST 2005

I am trying to understand how we are supposed to read matrixes through data
sources.... and I see that the ascii data source appears to support it.   Who
wrote this, and is there an example data file with a matrix in it?

Other questions:
If you have a file with 1 matrix in it:
	what should num frames be? (I assume 1)
	what should samples per frame be (not defined?)

What do the following comments mean in kstdatasource.h:

    /** Read the specified sub-range of the matrix, flat-packed in z in
row-major order (non-skipping)
        xStart - starting x *frame*
        yStart - starting y *frame*
        xNumSteps - number of *frames* to read in x direction; -1 to read 1
*sample* from xStart
        yNumSteps - number of *frames* to read in y direction; -1 to read 1
*sample* from yStart
        The suggested scaling and translation is returned in xMin, yMin,
xStepSize, and yStepSize
        Returns the number of *samples* read **/

In particular: what do we mean by frame here?  Is that a matrix?  A sample?
Is there a way to read a submatrix from a matrix?